Old 04-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default pesticides question

Nick Apostolakis said:

lets say that we have a vegetable that is sprayed with a pesticide.
the pesticide says that after 15 days it gets degraded to non toxic
elements.

if i pick up a vegetable 2 days before the pesticide deadline finishes
and store it in a refigerator is the pesticide going to dissolve as if
the vegetable was on the plant?

Then you have not used the pesticide per label instructions. And if you
use a pesticide AT ALL, it should be used exactly as indicated on the label.

I am under the impression that rain and sunlight are significant factor in the
breakdown or elimination of pesticides on produce in the field. Your fridge
is dark. (I'll grant that you will wash the veggies.)

On the other hand, seeing as you are willing to handle the pesticides
themselves -- just how much precaution do you use in handling? Enough
that any further exposure would besmall by comparison? Then what you
must be concerned about is not your eating (you've already made the choice
to use and expose yourself to pesticide) but any other people who might eat your
harvest. Proper respect for them would be to follow the pesticide labeling
exactly.

(attributed to Don Marti)