Old 04-06-2004, 12:03 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Pond Vacuum hire ....Bucks ?

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/5/04 11:45 pm, in article , "Tony

M"
wrote:

I have a small pond which has a lot of fine sediment in it, and hasn't

been
cleaned for years (as far as I know) - I have been advised that a pond
Vacuum will do the cleaning job - anyone know where I can hire one in

the
South Bucks, West London area ?

I'm not a pond expert but is this a good idea? "Things" could be living

in
that sediment, so a buckit and chuckit might be better. If you put the
chuckit on the side of the pond the 'things' can crawl back into it. Just

thought. I'm also curious as to why you want to clean it out?

I am considering removing some silt after about 7 years of pond.

Up until this year the pond cleared nicely each yeasr, and runnung the pump
didn't cloud it up.

This year, even though the pump is raised on bricks inside a container to
try and keep foreign objects out, the pump keeps silting up and the water is
generally cloudy.

So the pond probably needs the amount of silt reducing.

I was considering making a 'silt filter' by using the secondary feed from
the pump to circulate water through a sand filter in a tank, but I have no
idea how effective this would be - I may just bucket the silt out and let it
settle, then return as much water as possible and add the silt to the
compost heap.

If anyone has built an effective filter to remove silt, I would be
interested in the design :-)

Cheers
Dave R