Old 04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default advice

"Rez" wrote in message
Hello there,
I'm on the verge of setting up a pond, and have few concerns regarding
protection of the pond. My original intention was to have a simple

wildlife
pond, but have since decided to stock some fish of some description. My
problem/worry is the predatory subject. I do not want mesh/screen covering
the sface, but I live in a very rural part of suffolk where aside from
several cats there is also a risk from Herons, possibly kingfishers & a
multitude of other creatures that may fancy a nibble from the pond.
I've read about cords & such to stop wading birds, but is there any way of
protecting the pond from such things without making it too much un-natural
looking? Any ideas or experiences greatly appreciated.

You'll need to go deep, and provide a hide out from fish. You'll also want
to avoid shelves the birds have no where to stand. This will of course make
marginal plants diffcult to keep. I have sloped sides, and wish I had more
shelves for plants. On a side note...my pond has remained unat....on second
thought...I am not going to temp fate and discuss what has or has not
happened to my pond with respect to heron. I can't risk it.

BV.