Old 04-06-2004, 03:15 PM
D Russell

Default lemons and red spider mites

"Deborah P." wrote in message
Does anyone else have the problem that as soon as it gets warmer and
sunnier red spider mites attack their lemon trees? I only have one
viable spot in my flat for the trees. This is a window niche in the
living room next to the sofa so I'd rather not use the oil-based
deterrent I was recommended, nor poison sprays. I regularly spray the
trees with water and sometimes lug them under the shower. This sort
of keeps the mites under control but doesn't eliminate them. These
lemons were two of the first things I ever grew from pips so I hate
things harming them.
I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Deborah

Depending on the size of the plant you might like to try keeping them in a
terrarium type thingy for a while. Makes it very easy to keep the humidity
very high, which the mites certainly hate. Might (no pun intended) be enough
to keep them away.

It certainly works well when I put some plants in my pineaple house which
is, in turn, inside the greenhouse.

Duncan