Old 04-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Fern health risk ?

The message

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| As children, we were taught never to try that with a tick, as you may
| leave part of it embedded in your skin. We were instructed to let the
| tick be in peace until you have access to some paraffin. Liberally
| dousing the tick and its surroundings is said to suffocate it to the
| extent of pulling out, thus allowing you to shake it on to the floor.
| Never having been attacked by a tick, I cannot vouch for its efficacy.

I have, often, and I can vouch for its efficiency - negatively.

I can't think what you were doing wrongly, then. However, methylated
spirit is better.

You will get part of the tick embedded, whatever you do, and
it will itch like hell and may swell up. But, in most places,
ticks are more common in grassland than anywhere else (and the
UK is no exception).

If you burn the tick or kill it with meths, or even paraffin, (paraffin
is rather slow in its action, though) you do not get any tick parts left
in your skin - unless you try to 'help' it out. (And having kept animals
at most periods of my life, and/or been a deerstalking gillie and a
part-time keeper I've seen and been lunch for plenty of the ickle
hooters, too.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/