Old 04-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus32760

Default Please evaluate my grass planting plan.

In article , Joe Bobst wrote:
My plan is:
1. Kill weeds with ROUNDUP. Wait 2 days.

Don't bother. Roundup is way too pricey for what you need to do. If you
absolutely have to waste you money on chemicals, use 2,4,D.

I already have roundup at home... So your comment, while possibly very
wise, does not apply.

2. Rent a TILLER and TILL the area, and level it (it is uneven).

Most people would do this first and skip the chemicals entirely.

Okay, so at least that's a good idea to till.

3. Sprinkle a layer of TOPSOIL

Either get a lot of topsoil or skip this step. To be effective, you
would probably need a 3" depth and using common numbers, a cubic
yard is roughly a ton of soil which ought to cover maybe a 10' x 10'
area. YMMV.

No, I just want to add maybe 1/2" of topsoil for the seeds to start
growing. The soil in the area is tolerable and I do not want to really
build up, all I want is to provide nice environment for the baby
seedlings, so to speak.

4. Spread high quality SEED

Once you've got a decent topsoil bed, this could be an option. But
consider using sod if the area isn't too large. Prices at our local
box stores and nurseries are good this time of year and contractors
are scarfing up the stuff for their develoments, so it must be cost
effective.

The area is about 20x45 feet, pretty large. I am however, very open to
the idea of using sod, but it is a bit too much hard work, it seems.

5. Sprinkle more TOPSOIL

See above.

6. WATER the area on a 3x Daily basis for 1 month

Following the directions for sod installation will dramatically lessen your
need for this step. Whatever, good luck.

Someone in the biz told me that if I use SOD, I have to "flood" it
with water even more, according to him.