Old 04-06-2004, 06:04 PM
BroJack

Default For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:28:14 -0500, John Hines
wrote:

) wrote:

The idea is to drill holes and fill with a chemical to break down the
stumps.

Would a manual bit brace do the trick, or would you use a
battery-powered hand drill. What size? Length of bit, etc.? Thanks

3/4" self feed auger bit, in a hand drill. Don't need to go terribly
deep, standard 6" bit will do.

Thanks to all for responding.

The bit was $24 at Lowe's. The cheapest drill to handle it was $89.
(They tried to sell me a drill for $199.) Worst of all, the potassium
nitrate instructions said it would take 4-6 MONTHS to soften the wood
for burning. The internet led me to believe it would take 4-6 WEEKS.

Can't rent a grinder because I have no truck to transport it back and
forth.

So it's back to the old method I used for the other stumps: An ax and
a lot of sweat. There are only 3 stumps remaining anyway.

Sure woulda been nice to find an easier method. At age 60, swinging
that ax beats the hell out of my hands and wrist joints.

Thanks again.

Jack