Old 04-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Kay Easton

Default Beeb Chelsea coverage

In article , Stan The Man
writes

Probably not. Perhaps one reason for our declining education standards
is that too many teachers teach without having achieved their degree
and teachers' training qualifications.

Where are you talking about? Not UK, surely?

Firstly, when I was young, teachers were not required to have a degree,
and in practice only grammar schools had graduate teachers - primary and
secondary modern school teachers had only their teacher training
qualifications. The independent sector did not always require teacher
training qualifications.

Now, all state school teachers are graduates - I don't know about the
independent sector.

Secondly, in what way are standards declining? My children are learning
things that I didn't learn till much later in life.

Without these diplomas and certificates,
we may have no reliable way to whittle 1000 job applicants down to a
manageable shortlist.

Of course, unless the diplomas and certificates are relevant to the post
in question, even diplomas etc don't provide a *reliable* way - eg
requiring a degree for a job which is intellectually mundane but
requires good people skills may mean you find yourself interviewing a
group of highly intellectual nerds, while all the good communicators
have been sifted out ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: