Old 04-06-2004, 07:05 PM
PrecisionMachinisT

Default For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

"Ignoramus32760" wrote in message
In article , PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus32760" wrote in message

In article , Evan Mann

wrote:
The stuff I got at home depot says to drill 1" wide, 12" deep, and

then
make
a sideways hole at a downward angle that joins the straight down hole

in
the
stump. I just drilled 3 or 4 straight down holes using a 1" wood

spade
bit,
about 8" deep. My tree stump was something hard, so I used a corded
milwaukee 1/2" drill. I started with my 18V Bosch, but I knew that

would
die quickly because of the hardness of the stump

" wrote in message
om...
The idea is to drill holes and fill with a chemical to break down

the
stumps.

Would a manual bit brace do the trick, or would you use a
battery-powered hand drill. What size? Length of bit, etc.? Thanks

And what chemical would destroy the stump?

Potassium nitrate.

and where could I buy it?

Hardware store, plant nursery, or at the home and garden dept at many
variety stores--labeled as "Stump Remover"--read the label, diesel or other
hydrocarbon fuel will help if you intend to later burn the stump.

Bulk quantities are available at wholesale chemical houses and pyrotechnic
materials suppliers........

Beware, stump removal grade is *not* generally not pure enough for
pyrotechnic use, so suggest dont get any bright ideas about making
explosives or other 4th of July demonstrations with it.

Enuff said ???

--

SVL