Old 04-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Ignoramus32760

Default Please evaluate my grass planting plan.

In article k.net, David Martel wrote:
Ignoramus,

You have a plan but have no basis for a plan. No one here knows what you
soil conditions are so no one can give you good advice. Let's go through
your questions:

1. Kill weeds with ROUNDUP. Wait 2 days.

The directions on the bottle should be followed.

thanks.

2. Rent a TILLER and TILL the area, and level it (it is uneven).

After a soil test and the addition of any needed chemicals or
fertilizers tilling and leveling is ok

Sounds like a huge hassle, the soil looks okay to me, why should Itest
it? It looks like all other soil in my yard, and Iknow that grass
grows there.

3. Sprinkle a layer of TOPSOIL

This makes no sense unless the soil test suggests that you have no top
soil

thanks, appreciate that.

4. Spread high quality SEED

This is correct but when will you do this? Now may not be a good time for
planting in your area

What is a good time?

To be honest, I also suspect that it is not a good time, but will
appreciate some more detail about what is a good time and why now is
not a good time (need to explain this to WIFE).

5. Sprinkle more TOPSOIL

No, this doesn't make sense

Why, I need to hide the seeds from birds...

6. WATER the area on a 3x Daily basis for 1 month

This sounds like too much watering.

that's what the instructions on the seed say.

There should be a local office of your State's ag extension service. Call
them and get expert advice suited to your soil and your climate. They'll
probably test your soil for free but now is the busy season so don't expect
your test results anytime soon.

Thanks, will check it out... Is it by state or county?