Old 04-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Frogleg

Default Old Seeds

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:31:34 GMT, fitwell
wrote:

p.s., I'm also concerned about one thing. _If_ older seeds from a
long time ago do germinate now yet new seeds don't, one has to wonder
about modern growing practices, too!

Stories of wheat sprouting from seeds found in ancient Egyptian tombs
seems to be mostly apocryphal, 'though there is good evidence for a
few sprouting seeds of 100 to possibly 1000 years old.

http://www.kew.org/msbp/msbfaq/msb_a12.html

Mustn't forget that our
ancestors did things the right way - more in accordance with nature's
laws, esp. before the industrial revolution! They may not have had
the "science" of this, as we supposedly do, but they had no choice.
They grew organically, etc. g

And the average lifespan was 47 years. :-)