Old 04-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Bob

Default Please evaluate my grass planting plan.

"Ignoramus32760" wrote in
message ...
I have an area behind my chicken coop where pine trees used to

grow.

The area is in partial shade (eastern part of the house)

This is agricultural zone 5 (Northrn Illinois)

We cut those trees down and removed stumps, and planted 4 fruit

trees.

We want to plant grass lawn in the area. Most of the area is

barren,
but there is some weed type growth on one side.

My plan is:

1. Kill weeds with ROUNDUP. Wait 2 days.

This won't kill the weed seeds. If it's legal where you are, you
could rent a weed burner.

2. Rent a TILLER and TILL the area, and level it (it is

uneven).

You could add a starter fertilizer at this point. Rent a
"seeding?" rake to aid smoothing the ground. It's a very wide
rake.

3. Sprinkle a layer of TOPSOIL

I'd probably skip this step.

4. Spread high quality SEED

5. Sprinkle more TOPSOIL

Or, rake the seed in

6. WATER the area on a 3x Daily basis for 1 month

Sprinkle 3x a day. Just enough to keep it wet. Deep watering
probably won't help at this point. When the seed has sprouted,
reduce the frequency and increase the amount.

Is this sensible?

Fall is the best time to plant.

Bob