Old 04-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Rez

Default advice

"Ka30P" wrote in message

One way to approach a wildlife pond is to think about feeding the

predators
too. Stocking fish for herons, kingfishers and various mammals.
They can be fascinating to watch. Every December a kingfisher visits my

pond
and has his share of fish. I heard of a bird watching lady who wanted to

put in
a pond just to attract herons.

But some folks get attached to their fish and it hurts to see their pets
snarfed up.

Netting is a very effective deterrent but for wildlife it can be

dangerous.
Like BV says depth and straight sides helps keep herons at bay, though

some
very determined herons will actually float along on the water like a duck

and
strike.
A chimney flue at the bottom of the pond gives fish a place to hide once

the
intial strike occurs. But as Ingrid says, herons are very patient. Having

bird
brains they have little trouble with boredom and are prepared to hang

about
waiting for the fish to come out again.
An electric fido shock fence will keep mammals away. But also all the

wildlife
you hope to attract.
A motion activated sprinkler works for many ponders. But again also works

on
wildlife too.

So I'll go back to my original suggestion and have you include
the predators as invited wildlife and don't get too attached to your fish.

kathy :-)

That's something I hadn't thought of, fits well with my idea of a 'natural'
environment too. I had thought of stocking with native fish (if that is even
possible - or legal). While dreaming of my pond I had visions of
sticklebacks, newts, dragonfly Larvae & such, like I remember as a kid. I
know that some wildlife itself is a problem for a 'natural' pond, dragonfly
nymphs predating on small fish etc, but would this really work? Am I allowed
to stock native fish & Newts? I suppose frogs will move in of their own
accord, but where (if I am allowed) would I find sticklebacks & such
nowadays?
I'm guessing you were referring to stocking goldfish or similar to feed
wildlife? If this is so, how much/often do the fish get taken, couldnt it
get costly?
Ok now I sound like a skinflint AND I'm rambling.
Thanks for the advice

---