Old 04-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Strelitzia

In article B54wc.1224$Js1.159@newsfe1-win,
Joanne wrote:

Thanks, Chris. I had read that they like being pot-bound to flower, hence
my question. I'll pot them on tomorrow and hope I don't kill them doing so!

Unlikely. The two easiest ways to kill them are to let them get
waterlogged, and to freeze them hard. Other than that, they look
exotic but are very tough. Use a free-draining compost (50% sharp
sand may seem excessive but isn't) and leave them outside in the
summer. I have to spray (with soft soap) against mealybug and
red spider mite, but they don't seem to attract much else.

In the winter, forgetting to water them is a forgivable offence.
MUCH better than the humid tropics plants for a scatter brained
gardener. In Africa, they go for 6 months without rain, but that
is probably a bit harsh here. I have not tried.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.