Old 04-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Norma J. Briggs

Default Tomato Problem

The thinking in typically one inch of water a week. I know it can be hard to
know how much you have watered. It is better to water less and more deeply
because it encourages the roots to grow deeply. If you water often the roots
stay where the water is: shallow.

I typically take my shovel and find a place close to a plant and without
disturbing the roots of any plants put it about half a shovel down, moving
the dirt back enough so I can see/feel how much moisture is in the ground.
If only the top is layer is dry you don't need to water.

Your ideal is moist but not wet down through the root structure.
Consistency: which again I admit can be difficult for us non pros.
"Dee Jay" wrote in message
Norma J. Briggs wrote:
"Anna" wrote in message
I have planted Black Krim and Beefsteak tomatoes in raised beds. I
added steer manure and triple 16 fertilizer before planting.
I water daily at the base of the plants. The leaves are starting to
curl and they look wilted. They don't feel wilted though. They
seem to be growing fine and are starting to bloom.
Is it normal for the leaves to curl? I didn't see any bugs on them
or on the soil.
Thanks
Anna

http://whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/tomatotroubles.html

You may be over watering, but you are doing the right thing by
watering at the base of the plant.

Along these same lines, how do you know if you *are* overwatering? I've

got
a similar problem, and I never know if I'm watering too much or maybe too
little, as this is my first garden. I've got trenches dug around the
tomatoes to allow water to soak into the ground and I trickle water at the
base. Is this a proper method? Also, any ideas how to keep mutts with
healthy digestive tracts out? Thanks for any info, DJ.

---