Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Dan Hartung

Default Please evaluate my grass planting plan.

Ignoramus32760 wrote:
1. Kill weeds with ROUNDUP. Wait 2 days.

Roundup is supposed to stick around for up to a year. If you really want
to plant here, it may not be the best choice. Unless you have a huge
stand of dandelions (and they're past their prime season already), say,
or something nasty and kill-resistant, I wouldn't bother. Roundup is
better used those places you don't want to plant, or won't at least
until fall.

2. Rent a TILLER and TILL the area, and level it (it is uneven).

Decent idea. The weeds will become mulch for your new lawn, even if you
don't zap them, and you can spot-treat wherever it manages to survive.
Most won't.

3. Sprinkle a layer of TOPSOIL

Optional. What is there is probably fine, it just needs breaking up,
after being weedy and tamped down for so long.

You may also want to consider a "starter" type of fertilizer at this step.

Some people swear by the pH testing step, but I don't think it's
strictly necessary. Look around you; if the adjacent soil is growing a
decent lawn, you probably have nothing to worry about.

4. Spread high quality SEED

Make sure it's a shade-resistant variety that will thrive once the fruit
trees grow up.

5. Sprinkle more TOPSOIL

Optional, again. The usual is to gently use a garden rake to till the
seeds into the topmost layer of soil.

6. WATER the area on a 3x Daily basis for 1 month

A bit excessive. Don't overwater, but don't let the soil dry out,
either. Even though it's summer you'll get some grass, and the yard will
look a little nicer by then. You'll want to overseed in the fall and you
can expect second-year growth to be much more robust.

Is this sensible?

Sure. It isn't rocket science; mainly growing grass requires attention,
timing, patience, and diligence. When you're done, you feel a real sense
of ownership -- that grass is YOURS, damnit.