Old 05-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Tim Fierro

Default 1/4 Acre; I hate to mow it!

"David Hill"
Why not rake up the grass etc that you have cut, pile it
on the blackberry and burn it.

For one, I can only have a fire 3' wide and the flame can't get bigger than
2'. This according to the local fire department, so I haven't really looked
at burning since my last outing with this issue. We plan to go to the store
on Saturday and look for that 2,4,D to kill the blackberries.

Then fill in the ruts and pot holes with soil, and get a wild
flower mixture of seed and sow this over the area.
Turn this patch into a wild flower meadow, then just
cut it once a year after your flowers have set and
dropped their seed. This area will attract insects, butterflies
and birds and will be a lot more interesting than a patch of
short grass, and a lot less work.

David, that is an interesting idea. As I mentioned in previous post, we
have not made plans for that area of land yet. If we build on it later, I
would hate to have had to spend a lot on grass planting and getting it all
manicured; then tear it up to put a shop/garage there. :-) On the other
hand, if I did not want to build in that area, the work put into getting a
nice grassy back would be well worth it. Catch-22 until we decide what to
do there.

But the original concept remains, ease of maintenance being a priority. I
will take your advice and look into this more as an option. I did not know
that one could plant a flower/seed that would only need a cut once a year.

I appreciate everyone's contribution to this thread in helping us determine
how best to deal with the situation.

--

Tim Fierro *
Licensed Real Estate Agent & Private Investor