Old 05-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Gib

Default advice

"Rez" wrote in message
Hello there,
I'm on the verge of setting up a pond, and have few concerns regarding
protection of the pond. My original intention was to have a simple

wildlife
pond, but have since decided to stock some fish of some description. My
problem/worry is the predatory subject. I do not want mesh/screen covering
the sface, but I live in a very rural part of suffolk where aside from
several cats there is also a risk from Herons, possibly kingfishers & a
multitude of other creatures that may fancy a nibble from the pond.
I've read about cords & such to stop wading birds, but is there any way of
protecting the pond from such things without making it too much un-natural
looking? Any ideas or experiences greatly appreciated.
TIA
Rez

I've heard that a heron decoy will keep other herons away for a while, or a
fake fox.
A net is as close to a sure thing as you're going to get. And if your pond
isn't too big, it only takes a few minutes to take it off if you're going to
be spending the day in they yard. I didn't want to do it, but my favorite
koi became a meal, and I will not let that happen again.

--
"Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane."
- H.P. Lovecraft