Old 05-06-2004, 09:02 AM
MC

Default Two-stoke mower maintenance

Hi,

Just wondering, what is the correct ratio to mix my fuel and oil? (I have an
old 2-stroke Victa mower I inherited from my Grandmother - at least 10 yrs
old I 'spose?!)

Also, over the last 6 months or so, when I go to start the old beast, it
will start first pull, but then I have to let it idle for about 5 - 10
minutes (while it smokes the whole nieghbourhood out), before it actually
revs high enough to start the mowing! Once it's going it works a treat, but
getting it started like this is not making me popular with the neighbours!

Any ideas on how I could remedy this - cheaply?! Could it be that I am using
the incorrect mix of fuel and oil? A new spark plug? I'm not much good with
motors, but with a bit of guidance, I'll give it a go!

Cheers,
Mick

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day mk,

yup my sentaments exactly i also reckon it is a worn out motor the
only real remedy is a complete rebuild, there could also be worn
crankcase bearings involved + +.

not all proffesional mower repair services are rip off's but i must
agree there are a lot of sharlatons around, when i repaired mowers i
had a large following of customers reckon i must have been doing
something right huh? but i must admit it is probably going to pretty
hard for the end user to find the good guy in the pile.

there is no real servicing on a 2 stroke mower apart from keep the air
filter clean and use fresh mixed 2 stroke fuel at the correct mixing
rate.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment