Old 05-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Kay Easton

Default Beeb Chelsea coverage

In article , mich
writes

Yes , I agree those were all features of the old system. They were still
features ten years later when I came through the system in England (except
corporal punishment wasnt as widely used maybe. We were still well behaved
though because it was possible to use it.). Now its the kids who beat the
teachers up with impunity and the teachers spend their lives in fear - until
eventually it drives most of them out ( four out of five leave in their
first five years of teaching).

Maybe not entirely a bad thing? What I see of my children's work is a
damned sight more interesting than the teaching I had.

I think one can have a rosy view of one's own education - I came across
some of my school work in my father's loft, and I was horrified at the
standard of it - facile arguments, incomplete comprehension, careless
mistakes. And I was not just top of the class in my grammar school, I
was top of the year! It made me think ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: