Old 05-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Rez

Default advice

Thanks for the link, it looks a great pond. Thanks also for the advice about
the gardening group, I will sub to them later & check it out.
I will keep you posted as to how it develops.
Thanks again for your time

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Hi Rez,

There is a wonderful pond set up in England, it is fishless, in fact it

gave me
my idea for my fishless pond, here is a link
http://www.mybitoftheplanet.com/
He gets the most wonderful assortment of amphibian and insect life.
All the critters will prey on one another but Mother Nature usually works

it
out and it all comes out in the wash.
This newsgroup uk.rec.gardening will probably be able to tell you where

you can
gather or purchase sticklebacks. I would go with those fish over goldfish.
You'll still get visiting predators but sticklebacks have less of a chance

than
getting eaten than goldfish. Plus there is always the worry of goldfish

getting
into natural waterways (big floods washing through backyard ponds,

kingfishers
carrying off fish and dropping them, herons wading in ponds and picking up
sticky fish eggs).

I adopted native treefrog eggs into my pond from a friend's pond. All

insect
life showed up on its own. We don't have salamanders in great numbers

around
here. I'd like some toads and am looking for local ones to adopt. I

decided not
to put any fish in this pond as I have another pond with goldfish in it.

Rez wrote
That's something I hadn't thought of, fits well with my idea of a

'natural'
environment too. I had thought of stocking with native fish (if that is

even
possible - or legal). While dreaming of my pond I had visions of
sticklebacks, newts, dragonfly Larvae & such, like I remember as a kid. I
know that some wildlife itself is a problem for a 'natural' pond,

dragonfly
nymphs predating on small fish etc, but would this really work? Am I

allowed
to stock native fish & Newts? I suppose frogs will move in of their own
accord, but where (if I am allowed) would I find sticklebacks & such
nowadays?
I'm guessing you were referring to stocking goldfish or similar to feed
wildlife? If this is so, how much/often do the fish get taken, couldnt it
get costly?
Ok now I sound like a skinflint AND I'm rambling.
Thanks for the advice
kathy :-)

---