Old 05-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Nick Apostolakis

Default pesticides question

Ally wrote:

The cooling in the refrigerator would actually slow down the rate of
degradation of the pesticide. Also, in many cases the pesticide will
just degrade into a another compound that is also hazardous -- for
example DDT degrades over time into DDD and DDE, Endrin will break
down into Endrin aldehyde and Endrin ketone. As far as the actual
chemical make-up of pesticide compounds, they are not compounds I
would expect to be easily and readily biodegradable - so I would be
skeptical about a 14-day degradation time for any of them. Heat and
environmental conditions have a major impact on the form and rate of
degradation, as does biological activity.

i see.

that is exactly what i was afraid of.
i have not studied about the chemistry and the biochemistry of
pesticides so i could not prove that my opinion was correct but your
answer is i believe all the proof i need.

btw the "safe harvest after a 14-day period" is suggested by many
pesticides and is used by those prof. farmers who go by the book.
i have commented on my previous post what happens for those that do not
go by the book.

thank you for your answer

Nick Apostolakis
e-mail: