Old 05-06-2004, 11:12 PM
someone

Default Growing Spinach indoors

DaveH wrote in message
I would like to try this and am looking for advice from others who
have done so.

Also, have you tried hot weather tolerant varieties New Zealand--grown
outdoors, not inside?

I would like to start some spinach but in southern PA it is now too
late to do so outside--too warm, will bolt.

Looking for any veggies/greens rich in vitamin B for health reasons.

DaveH

If you have an outdoors, start planting in August, Cavolo Nero kale will
last the winter even if you have a frost. Endive should be planted in late
summer, it's another one that will withstand frost.

I planted Cavolo Nero kale (Nero de Toscana) last autumn, and I only pulled
up the last plants a few weeks ago as they were going to seed.

If you can't do it outdoors, then do it indoors: sprouting carrot, kale,
mustard, broccoli seeds will all do well in your indoor sprouter.

New Zealand spinach is a different plant altogether, quite luscious and
leafy, but I found that even it suffered in the hot weather.

s.