Old 05-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Richard Roocroft

Default Clematis colour changes on clay ?

Having trying to get a red shade in our garden, have bought Corona,
Ruutel and Royalty. Now I ain't going colour-blind, and appreciate a
really good red (especially when warmed to room temperature, but that's
another story). Trouble is, the aforementioned certainly *aren't* really
good reds....

Purply-violet-lavender, perhaps, but no way red. Indeed, in the case of
Royalty, it's more like Multi-Blue - certainly double whilst still in
the pot, waiting to find a different site for it's particular shade....

Is it due to our quite heavy-clay soil that could have an effect on the
colour of these beautiful plants ? I'm trying hard to grow 'em
successfully, but only seem to be lucky with Henryi, Jackmanii and
Tangutica.

Recently planted a Sir Trevor Lawrence against said fence. Looking
forward in anticipation...........

Thanks, Gardening Friends.
--
Richard Roocroft
The kiss of the sun for pardon,the song of the birds for mirth,