Old 06-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Vox Humana

Default New flower bed advise

"welsh dragon" wrote in message
I am wanting to create a new flower bed in our garden. I need to do some

big
improvements to the soil in this area as it is - like the rest of our

yard-
heavy clay and very alkaline. I do not have room for a compost heap and

was
wondering if digging grass clipping into the soil would work as a sort of
compost heap in situ and improve the soil for planting next year? I am in
the Texas Panhandle in zone 6
I would welcome any suggestions
Sarah

Landscape supply yards can supply you with compost and other soil amendments
like pine soil improver, gypsum, sand, and so on. Since you don't have room
for a compost pile, I assume that you don't have a very large yard.
Therefore, the amount of grass clipping would be negligible. I would just
call and have several yards of compost delivered. I would buy enough to
cover the area with 4 - 6 inches and till it or double dig it into the bed.
I would probably repeat this again in the fall or next spring if possible
before planting perennials.