Old 06-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Shiva

Default Don Juan/Golden Shower/other Question

JJ wrote:

Hi All,

I'm told that the Don Juan climbing rose will have flowers from Spring
thru Summer to Fall

It sure does in Nevada.

and is very fragrant.

DJ is not very fragrant. It has a very light, rosy
fragrance. But it is very vigorous and stays in bloom
here in my Zone 7 garden. The perfect, high-centered
hybrid tea shaped blooms are great for cutting. Once it
is in the ground for a couple of years it throws long
straight stems, great for cut flowers. It holds its flowers
and the blooms are lovely for days. The red stays
true and deep red. If you do not want red, I would not
plant this rose.

This is precisely what I
am looking for except that I would prefer a lighter color than deep
red.

Is there another climber that offers blooms over several seasons and
is very fragrant. I was bemused to see a variety called Golden
Shower at my favorite local discount garden center.

You were not bemused, you were amused. Is yellow the color you
want?