Old 06-06-2004, 05:02 AM
TURTLE

Default Please evaluate my grass planting plan.

"Ignoramus32760" wrote in message ...
I have an area behind my chicken coop where pine trees used to grow.

The area is in partial shade (eastern part of the house)

This is agricultural zone 5 (Northrn Illinois)

We cut those trees down and removed stumps, and planted 4 fruit trees.

We want to plant grass lawn in the area. Most of the area is barren,
but there is some weed type growth on one side.

My plan is:

1. Kill weeds with ROUNDUP. Wait 2 days.

2. Rent a TILLER and TILL the area, and level it (it is uneven).

3. Sprinkle a layer of TOPSOIL

4. Spread high quality SEED

5. Sprinkle more TOPSOIL

6. WATER the area on a 3x Daily basis for 1 month

Is this sensible?

This is Turtle.

When ever a bunch of pine Trees have been growing in a area. The ground will become very high level of acid in the ground. Very few
plants or grass will grow under a pine tree because of the high acid level of the dirty. To get the high level of acid down. You can
put burnt ashes of fire wood or lime down and then till it up to kill the acid level. Get the acid level down and things will start
to grow there or wait about 20 years and the acid will dissovle by it'self. Very rarely will you see a lot of brush or green grass
under a bunch of pine trees.

TURTLE

---