Old 06-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Alan Gould

Default pesticides question

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
".. Their use is banned by law in production of food
to be sold to the public as organic ......."

Sorry but this is not true.
"The term organic is defined by law, therefore all organic food production
and processing is governed by a strict set of rules"

"When you see a symbol or number you can be sure that the product complies
with the minimum government standards as set by UKROFS (UK Register of
Organic Food Standards)."

Exactly. Which surely makes my statement above true?

I would refer you to http://www.alotoforganics.co.uk/help/facts3.php

It's the public wanting perfect looking food that has no trace of pests of
any sort in it that has caused the constant use of pesticides in today's
food,

That is true, but the public, the supermarkets, agri-business and Govt.
have begun to realise the hidden costs of over intensive production.
We are now post BSE, CJD etc, and a more realistic approach to food is
evolving. Organic production is a part of that, obesity is another.

Personally I'd rather have local produce than so called "organic" produce
that is produced in southern Spain or Morocco and hauled all the way to the
UK by road causing the use of a great deal of fuel and the release of a
large amount of pollution.

Of course you and most people would prefer that, but it does not change
the organic standards to which the food was produced. In the same way,
local non-organic produce is preferable to imported, just as fresh food
is preferable to stored, frozen or processed.

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.