Old 08-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default compost quantity

Jet Dove said:

I have a small compost pile into which I pile garden cuttings, leaves
and other vegetative waste material and a little manure from my few
pigeons and hens. I end up with a nice little pile of compost each
year but not nearly enough. I would like to buy ingredients to produce
a much larger quantity of compost. I am considering buying a few
bales of alfalfa and bags of steer or chicken manure for this
purpose. I'm concerned that manure might contain a few unsavory
ingredients(hormones,insecticides, etc.) Would appreciate any ideas
regarding this or other possible easily acquired but uncontaminated
material -Jet

Every fall I pick up scores of bags of raked up leaves, which get shredded
and put into heavy-weight plastic bags for storage. These are used the
next year to make compost and mulch flowers and veggies. It is so
convenient that people rake these up and bag them for me (well, actually
for the township) to collect.

It just seem like the more I collect, the more I actually find use for and the
more I need.

I float again, the proposition that there is money to be made selling baled,
shredded autumn leaves...

(attributed to Don Marti)