Old 08-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Janice

Default Tomato Problem

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:01:04 -0700, "Anna" wrote:

I have planted Black Krim and Beefsteak tomatoes in raised beds. I added
steer manure and triple 16 fertilizer before planting.
I water daily at the base of the plants. The leaves are starting to curl
and they look wilted. They don't feel wilted though. They seem to be
growing fine and are starting to bloom.
Is it normal for the leaves to curl? I didn't see any bugs on them or on
the soil.
Thanks
Anna

A little lower leaf curl isn't uncommon on tomatoes, It's almost like
... those leaves are older. But if it continues to happen up the plant
where most to all of the leaves are curled, then that's not normal.

I had a Black Krim one time, very susceptible to anthracnose and other
fungus.

One thing.. water in such a manner that water and particularly
splatter of soil aka mud does not get on the leaves. That's how a
lot of fungus gets up onto the leaves.

Sounds like a lot of fertilizer.. but then you didn't say how much
over how much of an area..so might not be bad, but .. overall.. too
much nitrogen and you'll get more leaf growth than bloom and fruit
production.

Janice