Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Bob S.

Default Stunted, yellowish veggies

midocr wrote in message ...
Been lurking here for several years, absorbing and learning all I can
about gardening. Great group with lots of good info. I've always tried
to keep my gardens simple and easy to manage.

Here's my problem. For the second year now, about 2/3 of my garden
appears stunted and has a yellowish color to the plants, mostly
tomatoes, peppers and a few herbs. My veggie garden is small, only
about 25' X 25'. I border the whole thing with marigolds. The
marigolds on the south end are 3 times the size of the ones on the north
end. The entire garden gets equal sun exposure. I've had this garden
for about 10 years and only in the last 2 years has this problem showed
up. Just seems strange that only part of the garden is affected.

Any idea what I should look for or do? Thanks!

The main thing you need is a complete soil test(not just a pH test)
and stop all the guessing. Guessing may just make a bad situation
worse. A soil test from your local Extension Office will give you a
complete soil analysis plus tell you what you need to do to correct
any problems for the type plants you are tyying to grow. The price for
the test is very minimal.

Take soil samples from about six inches deep at various places in your
garden. Stir all the samples together to get an average sample. Put
about 2 cups of the soil in a plastic baggie and carry it to your
Extension Office. They will handle it from there and send you a
detailed analysis back in the mail. If you have questions about the
analysis, they can answer all of them.

I never cease to be amazed at how people try to guess solutions to
problems when all that almost free help is available at their local Ag
office.

Bob S.