Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Bill

Default hot cap

Sly boots 9 wrote:

What is a hot cap? Is it like a plastic bag over the plant?

I've seen the other two (at this point) replies. I want to add that locally
to me (Detroit, MI) hot caps are sold as clear plastic domes (their actual
shape is sort of squarish) with a generously sized vent hole in the top.
There is no need to remove them during the day. These run a little on the
expensive side at (IIRC) about 75 cents each in packs of 4, but they look
like they will last several seasons so the price may well be justified.

I bought a couple dozen this year and they seemed to work as advertised. I
set my tomatoes out April 15 and didn't lose any until I (erroneously)
believed a NOAA weather report that stated a low of 34 deg F for the night.

Maybe it never went below that where they took their measurements, but I
lost half my Druzba tomatoes and a couple of each of the other varieties to
frost. From now on, no more taking chances. If the advertised low is below
40, I'm leaving the hot caps on.

Bill