Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
kenny

Default Isolating Brandywines?

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:44:28 -0500, kenny
wrote:
Sorry bad reading from the book at the time I wrote this I
am al wrong,
Brandywine is L.Lycopersicum and the other type is the
currant type L.Pimpinellifolium.
THe book said double flowered beefstake will also out breed
with there two.
I got the book this year and it has been a real eye opener
for seed saving to me.

Brandywine is a potato-leaved L.pimpinellifolium. will
cross with other types of tomatoes with protruding styles.
Other protruding style types are L.lycopersicum a currant
type and L.lycopersicum beefstake type.
Most modern varieties will not cross with one onother due to
their retracted styles. Seed savers should therefore have
no problem with cross polination when growing one currant or
one potato-leaved variety and any number of varieties with
styles that are covered by their anther tubes.
THis comes from page 156 of Suzanne Ashworths book Seed To
Seed.

I have been growing brandywine for years and have not had
any problems with it crossing so far [knock on wood]

I have three varieties of tomatoes down in a small garden. I read in
William Woys Weaver's book on heirloom vegetables that Brandywines should
be isolated from other varieties by at least 50 feet, in other that they
"breed true."