Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Frogleg

Default pesticides question

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:18:48 +0300, Nick Apostolakis
wrote:

if i pick up a vegetable 2 days before the pesticide deadline finishes
and store it in a refigerator is the pesticide going to dissolve as if
the vegetable was on the plant?

This seems to me to be a variation on a series of food questions on
the order of "is it safe to eat X after it's sat at room temperature
overnight?" The 'proper' answer is "if in doubt, throw it out." That
is, if *you* will be uncomfortable eating something *you* feel unsure
about, then no amount of science, pro or con, will take off the curse.
Using a pesticide on food plants without knowing a fair amount about
its effects, degradation, etc., is unwise. I don't use pesticides at
all, but I'm not phobic about their use in commercial agriculture or
the chances I will be horribly poisoned eating something the USDA
maintains some sort of general control over. That's just me. If I
*did* use a pesticide that said (the label, not the substance) "wait 5
days before harvesting" and I wanted a ripe tomato on day 3, I'd
probably pick it, wash it thoroughly, and eat without another thought.
Again, just my own personal views.