Old 08-06-2004, 06:06 PM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Default Before removing old trees

"Jim Voege" wrote in message
m...
"Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote in message
Jim: I see your points and agree with most of them on an individual-tree
basis. However, take a step back and look at most urban forests on a
meso-scale - not an individual tree level. What I see in much of the
northeast is that towns are living off the capital of old trees they
inherited during development many years ago. Replacements are generally

with
species that will result in neighborhood character DRAMATICALLY

different
from what we see today or 100 years past.

Are we OK with the cumulative result of all these individual-tree

decisions?
I have concerns.
--

Mike,

I can only comment on my own city, Toronto. From the air Toronto has an
immense amount of green. In the suburbs, built primarily in farmland
(another problem g) there are probably more trees than before it was
urbanized. In the older neighbourhoods I would venture to say there are
more trees now than, say, 100 years ago, from looking at old photographs.

think I can accurately go a bit further and say that this is a result of
deliberate policymaking by municipal governments. So, in my part of the
world, we're OK Jack. :-)

Jim

REmember there is a difference than haveing a lot of trees and alot of high

quality trees.

--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com