Old 09-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Frogleg

Default Borage

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 03:04:17 -0500, Mark Anderson
wrote:

I was worried because last year I
grew Cilantro and after that flowered it petered out about the third week
of June making me trash the entire plant to reuse the pot. In my garden,
if the plant doesn't produce (I.e. grow big) it's out of here. :-)

Cilantro is a short-lived annual. It will never get big and bushy like
parsley. In fact, if you've ever seen cilantro with roots in the
grocery store, you will notice that the 'bunch' is actually 20 or 30
individual plants. The 'trick', if you want to have a good supply for
cooking, is to have many plants and sow more seeds every 2 weeks or
so. Cilantro likes sun, but heat makes it bolt quickly. It's too bad
you trashed the plant, as you could have used the mature seeds for
cooking (it's usually called coriander in the seed form) and starting
new plants.

If you're after architecture, however, cilantro/coriander is a bust.
:-) Dill is quite nice -- tall and feathery. It also doesn't live
very long (longer than cilantro) but the seed heads are quite large
and attractive (and useful). Rosemary is a perennial in much of the US
and can become a good-sized bush.