Old 09-06-2004, 02:37 AM
escapee

Default possible to deter neighborhood cats from using yard as litterbox?

Every year this comes up. I bought cheap 12" border fencing. That junk they
sell at Walmart or elsewhere which is made of wire and has on the bottom wire to
stick into the ground. Only, I have it attached to my fence with those wire
tines facing upward and I bend them down toward the ground. If a cat climbs the
fence, those tines are right there. I also affix my rose canes with giant,
sharp thorns to the bottom of the gates so they don't try to come under them.
That is the only way I know of how to keep cats out. It seems to be working,
but I don't want to jinx myself. I am also very opposed to doing anything
intentional to hurt the cats, other than physical barriers.

On 6 Jun 2004 09:31:17 -0700, (Lil) opined:

We've been living in this house for about 2 years. Recently, we
noticed that some neighborhood cat has been using our vegetable/fruit
garden area as a litterbox. Most of this area is open and covered
with weedmat with woodchips over it. Are there good ways to deter the
cats, without either harming them or our veggies and fruits? I
suspect part of our problem is we live on a corner lot....

Thanks in advance!

Lil

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?