Old 09-06-2004, 02:40 AM
The Watcher

Default Scythe sharpening?

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 22:30:08 GMT, Ron Hardin wrote:

Does anyone have directions for sharpening a scythe? I take it there's
a technique as opposed to just winging it.

Mine's gotten noticeably duller, and I read it's common to sharpen them
in the field in fact. Not that they're common in the field, but given
that you have one there, odds are that it's being sharpened.

They sell a little stone and belt pouch you carry with you. If I remember
correctly the pouch holds water to keep the stone wet. It's a long stone with an
oval cross-section. There's also a little anvil(sort of like a railroad spike)
you hammer into a stump to work on the blade.
Extreme caution is advised when sharpening a scythe blade. Even when the blade
is not at its sharpest it can cut skin pretty well. After you nick yourself a
few times you'll get used to the right way to hold the stone and the blade.