Old 09-06-2004, 03:37 AM
Ignoramus25707

Default Please evaluate my grass planting plan.

In article , TURTLE wrote:

When ever a bunch of pine Trees have been growing in a area. The
ground will become very high level of acid in the ground. Very few
plants or grass will grow under a pine tree because of the high acid
level of the dirty. To get the high level of acid down. You can put
burnt ashes of fire wood or lime down and then till it up to kill
the acid level. Get the acid level down and things will start to
grow there or wait about 20 years and the acid will dissovle by
it'self. Very rarely will you see a lot of brush or green grass
under a bunch of pine trees.

Thanks, I will add lime to counter acidity, your advice makes complete
sense as the ground beneath the pins was barren.

Which brings up a question, I planted a few fruit trees where pines
grew. Is it too late now to do something to counter the acidity of the
soil to help those trees? Would dumping a bunch of lime on the ground
help?