Old 09-06-2004, 05:25 AM
Bill Oliver

Default For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

In article ,
The Watcher wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:01:37 -0000, (Bill Oliver) wrote:

If you think ANY stump is watertight you might want to try drilling into a few
of them. I wouldn't bet on any stump containing anything completely. Yes, you
would be pumping it into the stump, but it will be escaping from the stump into
the ground. Stumps interact with the soil around them. That's their purpose. If
they were liquid-tight they wouldn't do much good for the trees, would they?

There is a difference between "pumping diesel into the ground" and saying
that there *might* be some diesel that is incompletely burned that escapes
into the ground.

So, let's say I pump 1/2 liter of diesel into a into a 1 meter high 2 meter diameter
stump. I then burn that stump to the ground. How much of that 1/2 liter do you
actually claim will be (a) unburnt and (b) in the ground?

billo