Old 09-06-2004, 06:36 AM
Charles Young

Default Replace the apple with a banana

"On the other hand, doctors also tell some other elderly, my mother
included, to eat more bananas as a source of potassium "

Maybe it should be 'some doctors tell some patients'.

"belly" wrote in message
link.net...
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 15:53:22 -0700 in
fc.003d094101c86b2e3b9aca002c5ad7bf.1c86b3b@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) graced the world with this thought:

All that said and what was left out was how often a doctor will tell an
older patient to *stop* eating bananas because the patient's potassium
level is too high.

It happened to both my grandmother and to my boss.

Glenna
(who likes that yellow
fruit very much!)

On the other hand, doctors also tell some other elderly, my mother
included, to eat more bananas as a source of potassium because they
don't have enough... because medications can leach potassium from
their system. Hence the leg cramps old people are famous for getting
in their sleep.
All in all, I suppose people who have been told not to eat them are
generally intelligent enough not to start just because some guy said
so in a newsgroup... but you never can tell!