Old 09-06-2004, 06:38 AM
ciel

Default High dGH

HI All

Many Thanks for all your input.
As I said I am a newbie to KOi.
I had been doing my reading during the winter and read a few articles on
what a good idea it was to dose the pond with salt in early spring to 1% as
a precaution and preventative for parasites etc...........
HOwever I did not read the rest of the advice to do water changes and bring
this down afterwards.

It has remained at 1% for a couple of months now so I guess not surprising
the plants are suffering..
Thankfully the fish seem none the worse !!

As the saying goes "A little knowledge is often worse than none at all" !!

I shall continue to read on.........!!
A 30% water change today............?

And if the worse comes to the worse I shall introduce Cod and Mackerel to my
little "sea" in the garden LOL

Once again thanks for all your advice

Regards
Chris

"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
Hi Chris:

See excellent this study of salt tolerance of pond plants:

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...m=salt%20plant

Many Thanks

Regards
Chris

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California
| Glass Block Pond http://www.kissingfrogs.tv

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:44:48 +0100, "ciel"
wrote:

Hi all

Newbie here please advise.!!

Pond is about 9 months old with a 55Gal Biofilter + (UV installed this

week)
Plus a newly setup Veg filter 300gals
Plus 2 waterfalls (in and out of veggie filter) for oxygenation
2000 Gals in total

Water Temp 60 degrees (Noon today)
Amonia= 0
NO3= 0
NO2= 0
PH= 8.5
dKH= 4.5
Salinity= 1%

15 fish all under 9" mostly Koi

Water Hyacinths are browning and curling up at edges as is Water
Lettuce.....!
Although yesterday having read various postings on web I added 1

tablespoon
Potash

This dGH reading is worrying me ..what is it telling me?
Anyone have a solution please