Old 09-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Vox Humana

Default TILLING GARDEN QUESTION

"Gary and Karen Manning" wrote in message
Is it necessary for the soil to be dry before using my rototiller? I keep
hearing people say that they must wail until the soil is dry before
tilling.

Soil should be dry before working it with machinery or by hand. You should
be able to squeeze a handful of it and it should just form a clump that
doesn't exude water. The clump should fall apart when disturbed or dropped.
If you work wet soil you will ruin the texture and will end up with big
clumps that dry into clod that will have to be delt with later.