Old 09-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Ignoramus11156

Default How long does it take compost to decompose?

In article 8_kxc.57146$3x.5768@attbi_s54, Bob wrote:

"Ignoramus32760" wrote in
message

Will that work? Say 6 inches of rotting food, 6 inches of half

rotted
compost, alternating, all "fermenting" in a plastic garbage bin

with a
tight lid.

The bin you suggest will not allow oxygen to reach the compost.
The resulting anerobic compost will smell bad. The bins I use are
open to air penetration on the sides, and open on the top,
preventing this problem. Watering the top of an open bin will
speed the decomposition of the top. I usually don't worry about.
I just fork the top few inches into the other bin when I need to
use the compost.

Bob

Thank you Bob. This food waste may be not worth composting.