Old 09-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Toxic Rubber Mulch

The message
from (paghat) contains these words:

Today I heard from activist Pauline Noble in Shropshire England:

"Whole tires were banned from landfill in the UK in 2003 and rubber crumb
is due to follow suit in July 2006. The Government / tire*industry here is
frantic.* They are selling this minced up cr*p to anyone that will buy
it, who in turn then*sell it on to the poor unsuspecting public whilst the
cadmium, copper and sulphates run off*happily down their drains.

With bans on this harmful toxic product already coming in Britain,

Good on for the UK in preparing to ban this stuff in 2006. The
toxic-waste-for-your-gardens industry is busy right now trying to stop the
ban from going into effect.

That completely misrepresents the UK situation, and btw, there is no
rubber-waste-for-your-garden industry here.

From 2006, shredded tyres will be banned **only from landfill** in the
UK. That just means, that after that date shredded tyres can't be
disposed of in landfill/dumps (whole tyres are already banned from being
buried in landfill/dumps). This is an EU directive.

In the UK, govt policy is that used whole and shredded tyres will be
recycled; material made from recycled tyres is NOT banned.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...pics/tyres.htm

The Government / tire*industry here is
frantic.* They are selling this minced up cr*p to anyone that will buy
it, who in turn then*sell it on to the poor unsuspecting public whilst the
cadmium, copper and sulphates run off*happily down their drains.

I have no idea what PN is talking about here. I have never seen, or
heard of, minced or crumb rubber being advertised or sold to the
gardening public in the UK, or used for any kind of garden mulch or soil
amendment; so it's hard to imagine for what other outdoor purpose she
claims it's being sold to the public,(how else could run-off from it be
getting down their drains?)

Janet.

In the UK, minced rubber has never been sold as a garden mulch