Old 09-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Mike LaMana

Default brown spots on maple leaves

Tar spot - cosmetic fungal disease. No worries. Let it go.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"John" wrote in message
I have a newly planted maple tree (not sure what kind) from a nursery that
has brown spots on just about every leaf. The tree is about 10 feet tall.
I'm in central Virginia and the tree is way out in the country about 30

feet
from a pond in an open field. The following links show a typical leaf

from
this tree with a couple of shots I was able to take through a microscope.
The brown spots are mostly circular with very small black bumps. I was

not
able to detect any critters or other moving objects on the leaf. Does
anyone know what these are and if the tree is in trouble? I'm sorry if

I'm
not providing any obviously critical info, but I know little of the plant
kingdom.

whole leaf:
http://geocities.com/intiharj/leaf001.jpg (87k)
http://geocities.com/intiharj/leaf002.jpg (81k)