Old 09-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Peter

Default Black Snake in Basement

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:55:35 -0400, Peter wrote:

My friend watched a "snake" wander down into my basement... evidentally it was in
the attached garage and when the house door was open, snake came in and went into
basement. Location is suburban Maryland.... we're had a lot of rain here in the past
few days, I think the snake came in looking for a new home.

From the description it sound like a black snake .... all black with a few white spots
on the face. size is undetermined....she thinks it was gigantic.... I'm assuming
probably about 3 -4 feet.

Don't want to hurt him, just want him out of the basement. No problem with
picking him up and relocating him, just gotta find him first.

But, I can't locate the snake in the basement and before tearing everything apart
(lot's of everything in this basement), is there a simple method for dislodging the
snake, without permanently injuring it ?? i.e. would spraying disinfectant under
the shelving units and behind the boards make this snake decide to move and be
located?? Are they sensitive to vibration ( I can turn on a sound system).

I really don't want to go through the place box by box and am looking for an
easy to way flush him out into the open. Would a pet store mouse in a plastic
box attract the snake??

Thanks for your suggestions ????

Update: Took the basement apart... looked under shelves, behind dryer, washer
water heater, Turned couches and chairs over. Not a sign of the snake......

I don't mind that he/she/it is down there, however the basement is pretty cool
( 60's) and there's not that much to eat down there except for some occasional crickets,
and a stray field mouse. Not a good source of water either... I'd hate to see it
starve to death.

Now I know that there are a few exit holes going back to into the garage, but is it
possible that the snake can climb from a floor up to the top of the concrete blocks
and get out again ??

In the meantime, I have plans to clean up a lot of the areas and perhaps spray
some disinfectant to discourage the snake from taking up residence in the most
obvious and accessible areas where people go.

Thanks !!!