Old 09-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Ka30P

Default Barley balls....

That's what I said.
Around here (Eastern WA) most all grain crops (barley, wheat, lentils, dry
peas) are harvested,
the straw sits in the field over winter and is plowed under in the spring.
So I see the free barley straw out there laying around and then I see it in the
pond store in a cute little bundle priced at $12 for a couple handfuls.
My brother-in-law, after his jaw dropped seeing the price, said if he could
sell a whole field for that price he'd give up on wheat and lentils and put in
barley. But it is a very small market and more of a boutique item.

kathy :-)