Old 09-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Default aeration

Bill,

The only problem with waiting for the noise of gasping
fish is that you may very quickly be losing your
largest fish. The big ones always die first.

For the price of a small air pump at Wal-Mart and Ice
Cream Container to cover it and a brick to sit the pump
on under the Ice Cream container and a length of tubing
that puts an airstone in the deepest part of your pond
weighted down in some way, you can get a nice rising
column of air bubble and water to help you fish through
the summer.

It is a small price to pay, for a little more insurance.

Tom L.L.

Newbie Bill wrote:

Okay okay - You guys are tooooooooo funny. THANKS - I'm sure I do need to
tone it down a bit. Prolly part of my 'problem' is all in all things are
going great. I am addressing a 'bug' problem, but in general the pond is
great. I have 6-10 lily blooms on any given day. Water cannas about to
bloom. Other marginals getting bigger. Numbers good. Seems I did so much
and was trying to learn so much at first I just have to look for problems.
Heck I have to do something to 'justify' the many hours I'm just sitting
around watching the fishies and soaking in the beauty. I probably would be
in the top ten at least, in a tan contest. Yes, yes life is good.
Of course as mentioned, everytime I learn something I come up with 2 more
'problems'. 1-I don't drink, 2-I most definitely don't get up before dawn.
According to BV if drinking improves your ability to hear the fish gasping
from afar maybe I could just put a tape recorder out by the pond and see if
a sugar rush would help my hearing. Baby monitor? Well - maybe not .
Ein prosit, ein prosit zur gemutlichkeit! Now you've learned something. I
was an Air Force brat in Germany during high school. I DID drink then
Bill

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"grubber" wrote in message

"Ka30P" wrote in message

The best way to tell if your pond is low on oxygen, the low tech, beer

in

hand

way, is to
get up before the sun rises. If your fish are gasping at the surface

you

need

more air in there. If not, they are doing fine.

kathy :-)

Getting up before the sun rises and grabbing a beer before heading to

the

pond may be considered uncouth. To avoid this, stay up all night

drinking

beer, and when the sun rises, go out and check on the fishies. If they

are

gasping for air, worry about the aeration after you've slept it off. If
they ask for a beer, you have had too many beers to make a decision.

Try

again tomorrow.

I guess I have a problem then, because I usually do this check
automatically. If the sound of the fish gasping wakes me up, I know two
things. 1) the fish need more aeration, 2) i drank too much and passed out
next to the pond.

BV.