Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Bern Muller

Default Testing the waters -- new pond or three in my future

"RainLover" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

While I would love to have koi, I have every predator known to mankind

around
my house and may let the frogs move in if they see fit and leave it at

that.
Because it's going to be a 'gallery' type setting, nets and other

deterrents
would be a little unsitely.

I think fish of any kind are a benefit, as they eat stuff in the pond
including insect larvae, in addition to looking interesting. I have a bunch
of goldfish in my naturalistic pond, and don't have to feed them all summer.
They thrive and multiply. I suggest you get cheap feeder goldfish, and
replace as needed if predators strike.

How large of a filter system will I need? (currently it's in direct sun,

but
I'm planning on a hill around part of the pond and bamboo plantings as

well.)
Even so, the sun will rule.

I have no filter at all. The water is a little murky, but looks perfect in a
natural setting with the plants. The fish are visible. If you keep organic
material down, a lot of filtration is not really needed unless you want
unnaturally crystal clear water. If your emphasis is fish, get a filter. If
your emphasis is plants, I'd say a filter is optional.

Should it be 'formal' or 'natural' looking?

Depends on your setting and the type of sculpture you mean to show. You are
the artist, and can best make that call.

Should I use a rubber liner? Concrete? Clay?

We have a butyl rubber liner that has been in place for over 20 years
without leaks. In Michigan with very hot summers, and very cold winters.

Good Luck!